NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS 2021
It’s time to become involved in your professional association!
The following positions are open for nominations:
(for a description of roles and responsibilities, see attachment Linked Here, OR read NYSSCA’s Bylaws, Governing Policies, Finance Policies and Nominations and Elections. All can be found on the Governance Tab of our website)
(4 year term: President Elect-Elect, President-Elect, President, Past President)
VP Elementary Level
(2 year term)
VP Middle Level
(2 year term)
VP Counselor Educators
(2 year term)
Regional Governors (3 year term)
Region 2: Putnam, Rockland, Westchester Counties
Region 4: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington Counties
Region 6: Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tompkins Counties
Region 10B: Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond Counties
- Be a Regular or Retired member of NYSSCA (Student or Associate members are not eligible for elected office);
- VPs must be employed at the work setting level for which they seek office;
- Regional governors must be employed in the geographic region for which they seek office or be retired and residing within that region;
- President-Elect-Elect nominees must be employed as a school counselor, director/supervisor, counselor educator or comparable position in the school counseling profession as determined by the NYSSCA board. Nominees must have served in an elected or appointed position on the NYSSCA Executive Board prior to running for president-elect or president-elect-elect.
Please note: all NYSSCA presidents must hold current membership in ASCA.
Nominations and Elections Process:
- The Nominations Committee, chaired by the Past President, solicits nominations, reviews nomination packets and submits a list of those who meet eligibility to the Board.
- Nomination forms must be submitted by March 1st by all those interested in seeking office.
- Ballots are distributed to all NYSSCA members by electronic ballot no later than March 20th, due April 15th.
- Election results are confirmed with the Board by April 21st and the general membership informed by June 1st.
Nomination Packet includes: (submitted through an electronic submission form linked here)
- Nomination information includes candidate name, leadership position sought, relevant certifications, current job title, current employer, address, phone, and email and a nomination paragraph.
- Nomination paragraph (limited to 150 words) includes the candidate’s reason for seeking the nomination to be included in the official ballot; should include how the candidate’s election would benefit NYSSCA members and how the candidate’s experience will enhance the work of the NYSSCA Board;
- Resume to attach to the ballot.
- Photograph for use on the ballot and for posting election results.
- NYSSCA will distribute candidate information to all NYSSCA members as part of the ballot.
- Candidate campaigning should be kept to a minimum.
- Candidates may produce and distribute pins, fliers, brochures and other materials at their own expense.
- Candidates cannot accept campaign funds or support including in-kind support from associations, divisions, regions, schools, commercial firms, corporations or foundations.
- Candidates cannot use NYSSCA resources such as websites, list serves, logos, equipment or supplies to solicit votes or support.
If you have any questions, please contact Carol Miller, Past President and Nominations Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org